Monday, November 11, 2013

The "Before" movies

A few years ago I watched a movie called "Before Sunrise" with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. It was a story about boy meets girl, he's American, she's French, on a train going to Austria.
The whole movie takes place in one day, and is mainly a conversation between the two of them.
I am not a fan of Ethan Hawke but I sort of liked the movie even though nothing much happened, at the end they make a date to meet next year, and that's how the movie ends.

Nine years later, there was a sequel to the movie called "Before Sunset", I watched it and is the same 2 people, nine years after. He's in Paris promoting his novel, the novel is about how he met her on a train. He's having a signing of the book in a library, and  then he sees her standing  in a corner. So this second movie is again the two of them talking walking down the streets of Paris, catching up on what happened to them. It seems he kept the date but she didn't.  It also takes place in one day, in real time. He had been married and divorced and has a son. It ends with him going up to her apartment, he has to catch a flight back to Chicago that night.

And now, in 2013, there's the  last (maybe) movie called "Before Midnight". Again is the same 2 people, now they are married and have twin daughters, his son came to spend the summer with them and they went to Greece. But again, the main part of the movie is the conversation between the two of them.

Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy and the director wrote the last 2 movies. I found the story of how the 3 movies came about as interesting as the movies themselves.

All movies were highly rated by critics. I enjoyed them too. Have any of you seen them?

1 comment:

RedRed said...

I saw the first movie and I liked it a lot. I'm sure I would like the next two also.