Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Ebooks vs "real" books

I love to read, I read a lot, always books from the library. Once in a while I will buy one to keep, but  the rest of the times I just go to the library. I can order books from all over LA county so it's basically an unending supply, that includes ebooks I can read in the PC or the iPad, so far I have not d/l ebooks.

Best thing, it's all free.

I like to hold a book, to turn the pages, to see the different fonts, the book cover, etc. Reading an ebook in a kindle or nook seems a little cold, although I think is great while traveling or going places, so you don't have to tote heavy books around.

A couple of weeks ago, I took a brand new library book to the ER. Sometimes it takes  hours to get things processed and I figured I might have time to read.
 After being there a while and talking to the doctor and knowing things were taken care of, I went to the cafeteria to get me a snack and a Pepsi.

 In my big purse I had my wallet, my iphone,the book, a hankie, a pair of glasses, a brush, and a bag of nuts, and after taking a sip of Pepsi, I added it to my purse. When I got back to the ER, I noticed my purse was dripping! I took everything out and sure enough, I had not closed the bottle and there was pepsi all oer everything. I dried what I could, and laid everything on top of a pad (lots of them in a hospital room)and got another pad and soaked my purse...well you get the idea.

The book was ruined. The pages dripping and sticking together, it was  bad.

When i got home, I used the hair drier on low page by page, then ironed the pages...all to no avail. Today I went to the library and explained what had happened. No worries, I had to pay for a new one, $25.00, plus $10.00 for processing.

Maybe this time, an ebook would have worked better :)




2 comments:

emtes said...

I really love that you have NaBloPoMo so I can read about your lives every day :-)
I'm sorry about what happened to you and the book.
Puss och kram fran din lillasyster
Mia :-)
Alskar dig <3

RedRed said...

I'm glad you didn't drip Pepsi all over your iPad. That would be way more than $25.