Sunday, November 29, 2009

Day 29


The highlight of my day was El Clasico, the game between Barcelona and Madrid. They are arch rivals in soccer, and in everything else. Soccer is the only game where I have a slight idea of what goes on. I remember my father and later with Nuri's boyfriend Jordi (now her ex husband) watching the games on Sunday afternoons, we -mom, grandma, Nuri and I- were "forbidden" to make any comments or talk too loudly over matters other than what was going on. My father and Jordi would yell, curse, stand up and clap or moan in disgust according on how the game was going. if Barsa won all was well, he would give me money to go get ice cream for all, but if they lost....we all made ourselves scarce, we all went to out rooms and try to stay away from his path. Many a time I thought he would have a heart attack the way his face would get all red and almost purple with excitement, especially when playing against Real Madrid. He was a member of the club and sometimes he would go see the game at the stadium with my uncles, on a few occasions he would take me too.

I have been following how Barcelona was doing on and off during my life in the States, it was hard to keep up since at first neither the papers nor the TV would say anything about soccer. Now I can watch it in direct on TV and it's awesome. I must say, when the Swede Ibrahimovic kicked the only goal of the game, I stood up and clapped hands madly, and again when the game was over. Last year, Barcelona won the European cup, the Liga, and the King's cup and they are considered as the best team in the world. Tuesday they are going to give the Balon D'Or (sort of the soccer Oscar) to the best player, out of the 10 finalists, 5 are from the Barcelona team, with Messi the odds on favorite to win.

Visca el Barsa!!!!!

1 comment:

RedRed said...

that's the most I ever heard you talk (or write) about sports. I wrote about sports today, too, kinda.