Thursday, November 19, 2009

38 years ago today...




Friday, November 19, 1971, at 11:12PM, Elisabeth Nuria was born at St Benedict's Hospital in Jerome, Idaho. Weighing in at 8lbs 11ozs and 21 1/2 inches long. Hazel eyes and light brown hair.
The doctor that delivered her was Dr James Scheel.
The delivery went well, and she was a beautiful healthy baby. But there was a problem, my uterus wouldn't contract and I was bleeding a lot. I wanted to go back to my room and call my parents in Barcelona, because my dad was leaving on a trip to Hungary that same day and I knew they were waiting for me to call. Finally they took me to my room and her proud daddy left to go home to Sandy (my in laws came to Idaho and were taking care of her). The baby was sound sleep, when I called home, my dad was just about ready to leave for his trip and was overjoyed to know he had another grand daughter, then I talked to my mom, I cried, I missed them.
Then it was time to go to sleep, they gave me an IV and some medication to try to make my uterus go back to normal as I was still bleeding a lot. Lights out, everything was quiet....a little later I woke up and needed to go to the bathroom, I was half sleep and didn't realize I had an IV. I jumped out of bed and the IV crashed on top of me, the nurse came running and saw me laying on the floor sort of dazed and confused.
In the morning, all was well and the doctor said we could go home Sunday morning (photo above). Marvin and Sandy came to pick us up, and Sandy held the baby in her arms all the way home :)
At the beginning we called her Isabel, later on my dad started calling her Lizzie and it stuck. She was a very good baby. Her very first outing was to a pizza place in Twin Falls, ID, where we met out friends Casey and Larry. She started walking at 9 months.
Just for fun, here are some facts of they year she was born: President was Richard Nixon, Pablo Neruda won the Nobel prize in literature, Bridge Over Troubled Waters was song of the year. Median household income in the US was 10,000.00. gas was .40 a gallon, median price of a house was 25,000.00
She has grown to be an exceptional woman and poet, and I wish all the best for her now and always. I love you Lizzie!!!!!

3 comments:

lizzie said...

awesome!!

RedRed said...

You know that times have changed...there's no way a 5 year old would be allowed to hold a newborn baby on the ride home from the hospital today.

Great post, Mom!

emtes said...

I loved to see and read about Lizzie's birth. I kind of smiled when I read it because I had just the same problem after giving birth to Emil. That the uterus wouldn't contract. I got a lot of little brown pills to help it and every time I took those it hurt like h..l. But in the end it worked. Funny we should have had the same problem.
Have a great weekend. Love you!
Hugs to you and Marvin :-)