Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The longest day

We left home at 6:30AM on our way to Kaiser Hospital for Marvin's OP catheter laparascopic surgery, we had to be there by 7:3o for pre op. They said it would take about 2 hours, and they would call me when he was ready. I went downstairs to the cafeteria, and had a Pepsi and played with the iPad for a while. Went back upstairs and he was all ready in his cubicle waiting for surgery (scheduled at 10:30). Well the time came and went and still no surgery...I went to ask what was the hang up and was told the doctor was doing another surgery that was taking longer than expected. Marvin was having bad legs cramps and I was taught to grab his toes and push to relieve the pain. Around 12, they came to take him to surgery. They said it would be a couple hours and then the doctor would come and talk to me, then there was 2 more hours mandatory post op, and after that maybe an hour more to make sure everything was OK. At that time, rather than wait around the cafeteria, I decided to walk to Jack in the Box for lunch. It was quite a walk, for me, but it was good to be outside, it was a warm breezy day so it was nice. I had a spicy chicken sandwich and the 2 tacos for .99 cents. It had been a while since I had them and I enjoyed them :) I went back to the waiting room and they said he was still in surgery, the waiting room was quite crowded, so I went to the "Meditation Room" which was empty, and read my book (The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen). Later on I went back to the waiting room and they called my name and Dr Crabtree came to talk to me, he was very nice, holding my hand, taking a cursory look at what I was doing (playing "Angry Birds" in the iPad) that made him chuckle a little. He explained everything went well and he was doing fine. I like him, he's very nice and comforting. So he said he was in post op and I could see him after 2 hours. So I went back to the cafeteria because they have a nice outside area with tables and umbrellas, and had a chocolate milk and assorted nuts, and read some more. Finally I went up again and they let me in, and they said he was ready to go. He was still a bit drowsy and tired looking, so I went downstairs to the Pharmacy to get some pain meds and by the time I got back, he was all dressed and ready to go :) And now, back at home, after a delicious dinner of chicken broth and Jell-o, we are both ready for bed. It's been a long day!

1 comment:

emtes said...

I'm glad everything went well!!
You really had a long day and I think it's worse for us waiting outside.
Say hi to Marvin and wish him speedy recovery.
Is he ready now for dialysis?
Take care
Hugs Mia <3