Thursday, November 18, 2010

SST

School Study Team is is a meeting with teachers, principal, counselors etc for problem children. I had one of those meetings today for 2 of my kinders. The one with ADD is a big problem because he cannot sit still and is always in motion, and he impulsively hugs kids really hard to the point they cry when they see him approaching. He's not on medication, he barely turned 5 and I think it's too early to put him on Ritalin, but I guess it's up to the mother and doctor to decide. The "advice" I was given by the team, is to massage his head and back before recess, before lunch, etc. to calm his energy?!
My other problem kid is very young as well, he's 50 lbs overweight :( and his problem is, well he's way too big and lethargic, he has no interest in learning and the only time he seems happy is when music is playing, he dances up a storm! unfortunately today he fell on another kid while dancing and I had to send him to the school nurse because he was crying and aching all over! The team's "advice"? jump rope with him (say what?) and do push ups daily.
So here are my new teaching duties...massaging one kid, doing push ups with another, oh well!

No comments: