Friday, November 26, 2010

Musings

I read Lizzie's blog where she writes that we have never been a "traditional Thanksgiving family". She has a point. It's not in my background, we didn't have Pilgrims and Indians, and I really don't need one day to give thanks for what I have, I thank God every day for all my blessings.
When I came to the States, we had Thanksgiving over at Marvin's parents house. It was not very different from Christmas, only we didn't exchange gifts at Thanksgiving. It usually was us, Mary, Dewey, Bettie, grandpa Moore and the boys, and later one Mart and Verna, Lee, and as the family grew, the grand kids. We had always turkey and dressing and gravy, yams, salad, and pies. Opal made the dressing Marvin likes which we haven't been able to duplicate, she also made great pies.
I remember one year we had Grandpa Moore and Opal and Marshall over for Thanksgiving, it was in Dixon in the apartment that had 2 floors. I remember the dress I wore, Sandy was about 3 years old. I think it went OK :)
When we moved to Idaho, it was just the four of us. We did have turkey and trimmings, and I remember going once to Ralph and Rowena's, and another year to Larry and Casey's. Then the girls grew up, we moved to California and Sandy went to college to Idaho State U. She came home for Christmas and a few times for Thanksgiving too...who can forget our Thanksgiving meal of Chinese food???? When Lizzie started college too she came home sometimes, sometimes she spent it with friends.
And now, they both have their own family, so for the last few years, it's been Marvin and I, and since neither one of us are crazy for turkey, we usually have whatever we like.
Sometimes I feel bad because it is a big American holiday after all, but since we sure are not surrounded by friends and family, it really makes not much sense to make a huge meal with lots of side dishes, pies etc. just for the two of us.
This year, we enjoyed the Jacuzzi, the grilled steaks , and each other :)

1 comment:

emtes said...

I think you had the most important and that was each other. I was with you in my thoughts.
Have a great holiday. I'm sorry I haven't updated my blog but I will try, soon ;-) We have renovated a room and tomorrow the H.E.A.T guys with girlfriends, parents and some others are coming over to get into the Advent-mood. So very hectic today but it will be lots of fun.
Love you!! Big hug from your sis :-)