Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Sunflowers

Around the time that Mia was here, I planted some sunflower seeds. The one in front is over 6 feet tall and gorgeous

After the plant has stopped bloming, I will cut the flower and let the birds eat the sunflower seeds within, maybe I will save some to plant next year.

I really like sunflowers, they look so cheery and bright! I checked the meaning of sunflower (I'm reading the book "The Language of Flowers") and it says it means "false riches" .  Hmmmm I cannot see how this relates to the sunflowers. In Spanish the name is "girasol" which means turns towards the sun, which it does.
We also bought sunflowers and planted them by the driveway, they are smaller but just as cheery and bright!

 
I'll leave you with this quote from Walt Whitman
 
Keep your face always
towards the
SUNSHINE,
and the shadows
will fall behind you.
 
 

No comments: