Sunday, November 9, 2008

My childhood



After reading M's blog, I was just thinking how different our childhoods were. I was born in a big city, and at the time of my birth, my parents were very well to do. We had a nanny, a chauffeur a last model car, and a cook, and we lived in a really nice 2 story house in one of the best avenues in Barcelona. I lived with my mom and dad and my sister N who is 2 years older than I am, and also my paternal granmother, yaya. It was a great childhood.

What is interesting is, that at age 6 M's life changed by moving from OK to CA, seeking a better life. At age 6 my life changed as well, but not for the best. We went from riches to poorer, goodbye house, chauffeur, nanny, cook. What changed? my father went to America (South and North) when I was 4 to start an import export business with a friend. He left a good job and a good life and ended up losing all his money :(

While my dad was away, we went to live with yaya's sister Matilde and nephew Joaquin in an area known as La Taxonera, where there were still gypsies living in caves carved from the mountainside. We lived in a small house reminiscent of the one M was talking about in OK, complete with outhouse. We lived there for a year. After my father got back from his travels, we moved to a new apartment in Roca i Batlle, where I lived until I got married.

No comments: