Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Auschwitz

Yesterday marked the Seventieth Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz.

Although 90% of the inmates at the camp were Jewish, there were also some prisoners of war, political prisoners, gypsies, homosexuals, and people from different nationalities that were sent there for different reasons.

One of them was my mother's brother Juan.




He was the only son in a family of 11 daughters. I am not sure of the timetable, but at some point he moved to Germany and married a German woman. I never even knew about him for a long time. He didn't keep in touch with his Spanish family, but I found out he kept in touch with tia Carmeta. I talked to my mother about him in one of my last visits to Spain and she told me a little about him, she told me he was in Germany during WWII and was at one point in a concentration camp.





I am friends with a relative of mine in Facebook. I had never met her. Her mother was married to a half cousin of mine. Through her I found out more things about my family (she started a family tree with My Heritage).

Yesterday she posted an interesting story in Facebook.


For  those of you that cannot read Spanish, she writes that he (Juan) survived the camp when the Russians rescued him and gave him food and money. Three day later he was robbed and was taken to a hospital where he stayed there for 14 months recovering.  He never forgot his stay in Auschwitz, he survived by eating dirt and sawdust.

I wonder  how was his life after that.

2 comments:

emtes said...

I had no idea. What horrors didn't he meet and will you ever be hole again after that.
Our Crownprincess Victoria was at Auschwitz on rememberence Day to honor the victims. We also had rememberence meetings here in Sweden in several places.It's so important to highlight this since there in many ways are the same political situation now. There are still some live witnesses to the horrors but they are very old and you don't how long they will be here for.
Take care, love you and I send you hugs Mia <3

RedRed said...

Holy crap, what a story. Sad.