Friday, August 15, 2014

He's home

Today I went to Huntington Beach to see N and find out how he's getting al now that he's back home. I got there around noon, and some friends were visiting. I knew them and said hello. Pretty soon N started ranting about his sister, how she's good for nothing, how she never does anything right etc. He said she should go back to Las Vegas because she's doing nothing good being here, and on and on. He still doesn't remember being in the first and second hospitals, he thinks Eva made that up. I totally understand he's still not being himself, but he was downright obnoxious and rude, with me too. He was mad because Eva had not been paying his bills and messed everything, then turned to me and said I should have taken care of it. I tried to explain that I couldn't do that because it was not my place to do it, and besides I cannot write his checks and sign them, like Eva can. So he said we are both dumb and too old to know anything. Really I had to keep repeating to myself that he's sick.

He was nice to the other people and acted semi normal with them. After they left he wanted the four of us to go have lunch (his Filipino caregiver is staying in the house), N said he couldn't eat the $hit his sister makes.he asked me if I had any coupons and I said no, so he told Eva to get some from the newspaper. The only thing I saw was a coupon for Pollo Loco, and he said no because it was too expensive! So with Eva driving we went out to eat. I chose a place that has 5 different restaurants (Mexican, Fish, Thai, Chinese and sandwiches) and outdoor tables so everybody could eat what they wanted and sit together, but he was acting so annoying -telling Eva to turn, no this way, slower, faster, you're going to run over people, stop at the red light..blah blah over and over that I decided to stop at a Mexican place that was close to his home. Of course he said the food was horrible, told Eva she had to pay for sall of us, then said what I had ordered (chimichangas) was too expensive, so I ordered just a taco rather that hearing him go on and on.

After lunch, they were going to Kaiser to get a prescription, then to church. I asked Eva to drive me back home so I could get my car, because no way in hell I was going to go driving with them and listening to all the bickering.

I certainly hope that this is temporary and that he will become more like himself soon. It's like everything that was annoying about him (being super picky, cheap with money, obsessed with the Filipino girl etc) has been magnified 100 times, and his good points (friendly, nice, helpful, caring) have all but disappeared. It is sad, I feel so bad for Eva, I feel bad for him because he cannot help it, but I am upset too. Let's hope time works its magic.

1 comment:

emtes said...

I am so so sorry for you, for N and for his sister Eva. It can't be easy to see someone you care for change in that way. But you did say initially that he could be changed in personality and maybe that is what has happened.
I too hope he will be back to his normal sooner than later.
I wish you a very good weekend and send you hugs and kisses.
Love you
Mia
Hugs for Marvin and Lulu too of course :-)