Wednesday, March 18, 2015

St Patrick's Day came and went

That is one holiday that was not celebrated at home, we have no Irish family in either side. Here in the US there's parades and stuff but growing up in Barcelona we didn't even know there was such a day for celebration.

When I was teaching Kindergarten, we did celebrate St Patrick's (they don't do it anymore), I put green food coloring in the toilet's water tank. I injected green dye in the milk. the leprechauns came to the classroom during recess time and turned over chairs, and threw green glitter on the floor, and there were paper shamrocks of different sizes all over the place. They spread mischief and made the kids laugh at their antics (of course I was the leprechaun ;) Before going home we made leprechaun hats and I gave them green leprechaun kisses. It was fun!

Nowadays, a bigger celebration happens 2 days after St Patrick's. Our grandson turns 17!!!

But even before he was born, St Jose's Day was a holiday that was celebrated in Spain and since my mother and I were named after him, we had a big party going on with family and friends -Saint Days were celebrated more than birthdays- Maybe I should make some crema catalana which is the traditional San Jose's day dessert :)


If you enjoy crème brûlée, it may interest you to know that the dessert might have been first made in Spain and called Crema Catalana.

Happy belated St Patrick's


1 comment:

emtes said...

Love creme brulé and of course also crema catalana.
Hope you have a great name day!
I love what you did for the kids on St Patrick's Day.
Love you! Mia