Tuesday, March 24, 2015

sad

I have written before about one of mi oldest friends Lolin. We were neighbors in Barcelona, we went to school together, and double dated numerous times.

She married an American man and moved to Indiana. Her husband was very handsome, and she was very beautiful (people thought she looked like Elizabeth Taylor, or Kim Novak,and one time when she colored her hair blonde they told her she resembled Brigitte Bardot. It depended on how she wore her hair, or how she dressed) She appeared as an extra in a couple of movies and did some runway modeling. She divorced her husband, or rather he divorced her and married his high school girlfriend, and she moved to Texas where her sister Pepi lived (also married to an American) and where she married a friend of Pepi's husband. Another divorce, and she went back to Spain. By that time I was married and living in Northern California.

She came to visit in order to keep her green card, and told me she had met someone special. When she got back to Spain she married a 3rd time, this time a good guy, a marine that was a bit younger than her. Not as handsome as the first one but a much nicer person than her two exes. They came to live in California, then moved to Texas, then Colorado. Now they live in Maryland, close to DC, he is from that area.

Lolin has a weird personality. Well all her family was a little different. It was hard to get along with any of them, it was their way or no way. when we double dated she was the Beauty and I was the one with a good personality and brains. The first time she got married to the hunk, I had to translate what he said to her and viceversa while they were dating, I was the 3rd wheel by their request, pretty funny. She never learned a lot of English, and doesn't drive either.

All her life she has been a drama queen, there's no grays in her life, it's black or white. High highs and the lowest of lows. I give kudos to Tom her husband, he has the patience of a saint. I could write a book about all the chapters of her life. About her sisters too. And about her strange reaction when her parents died. I really could write a book.

She's had her share of sicknesses, some physical and some on her mind. She tried to commit suicide one time and her mother in law called me to talk her out of it. I very seldom heard of Lolin when things were going well, for instance we hardly saw each other when she lived in California. But when things were not working for her she would call me and cried and spill all her problems. She had breast cancer, a stroke, a benign brain tumor, heart problems etc.

I had not heard from them for about 5 months, since she had a stroke that left her right side paralyzed. But I called them about once a month to find out how things were going , she said she'd call me back and never did, same as her husband.

Today her husband called me, she is in hospice at home with no hope of recovery, is just a matter of time. She weighs about 80lbs, doesn't eat and hardly talks. He wanted to talk to me just to talk to someone that knew her and was, is, her friend. He also wanted my opinion....strangely enough, he told me that a couple of days ago he heard from her sister Pepi's son.(they had not been talking to each other for about 5 years) Pepi was dying. Should he tell Lolin? My opinion was NO, she didn't need any more problems at her stage of life. He said he talked to a priest and to the head hospice nurse and they also told him not to tell her. What would it accomplish?

Well this is my story for today.I have known her for about 63 years, and we had quite a few experiences together. It is sad. This is a picture taken in 2007. I wish I had a picture from when he was young so you could see how beautiful she was, but my scanner is not working today.









3 comments:

Lizzie said...

Mom,
I'm so sorry to hear about Lolin. I know your relationship with her has been up & down but you have always been a good friend to her, whether she knows it or not. I feel for Tom, too. I hope her last days are full. Love you!

RedRed said...

Oh Mom, how sad. I hope she finds some peace. You are a good friend.

Kteach said...

Thank you girls :)