Sunday, May 3, 2009

Old Friends

One of my oldest friends and her husband, came by to visit me today. We have known each other for over 50 years, we went to elementary school together and lived in the same neighborhood. Through the years, we have kept in touch, thru her 3 marriages, her endless dramas and conflicts about herself and her very dysfunctional family, her depressions, and her health problems.
After her parents died, she has been much more needy, calling me often, coming to visit, and constantly telling me I am her best (and only) friend.
I appreciate the fact we've known each other for so long, and is nice to keep in touch once in a while. But I am tired of her constant drama and self centeredness -is this a word?-. I feel sorry for her husband, although he is the enabler to her moods.
They were here all afternoon, she told me all her latest tales of woe, including day to day details of her parents' passing (over 10 years ago but she keeps them very fresh on her mind and is still in mourning), her breaking up ties with her sister, again, etc. etc. etc.
After they left, with big hugs and kisses and promises she will come back soon to visit, I let a big sigh of relief.
Sorry for this post, I didn't meant to sound so unsympathetic, but I just had to vent :)

1 comment:

lizzie said...

You have been one of her only sources of contentment, even if she's a bit nuts. I know you weren't looking forward to the visit, but I'm glad you got through it. At least they're not very frequent!