Tuesday, May 5, 2009

5 de mayo




Some years ago, our school celebrated 5 de mayo in many ways, there were kids dancing and singing, lots of food, and generally a fiesta mood.
With all the emphasis in No Child Left Behind, testing and no more bilingualism in the school, all kinds of extra curricular activities are slowly being phased out.

This year I thought I would do a mini celebration in my classroom: Taco Fiesta. I had each child bring something for the tacos, we brainstormed first to make sure every child had things they liked. I also invited the parents over.
It was a great success! the children made a nice 5 de mayo picture, we put festive tablecloths on the tables, and about 12 parents showed up. We had the party at 1:30PM, so they could go home after they ate. We had chicken and ground beef, corn and flour tortillas, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, olives, sour cream, 3 kinds fo cheese, and about 4 different salsas, all homemade. We also has fruit salad.
I told the kids their parents would be the waiters/waitresses and so they went to the kids and took their orders. All children ate A LOT, it was fun.

When I came home, I made enchiladas suizas for dinner, and had a Coronita. Tomorrow is Day of the Teacher :)

2 comments:

lizzie said...

sounds like a fun time! I made easy cheesy enchiladas for dinner that were quite tasty

RedRed said...

we had TacoRama at my work. It was a little like your taco fiesta. Everyone brought something to go in the tacos, and the company provided the meat. I cooked it, along with my friend Justin. It's a tradition!
We had chicken enchiladas at home that night. They were spicy and good.