Friday, May 8, 2009

"THE" haircut

Most of you that read my blog know I have a little phobia about hair salons, I just simply cannot find anybody that gives me a haircut I like. I realize the problem lays with me, not the stylist. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that Nuri was a hair stylist. Truth is, basically since I got to the US I have not been fond of going to the beauty shop, or hair salon, or whatever you want to call it.
I had very nice hair, brown, wavy and thick, now, because of getting older and medications I'm taking, my hair is thinner and has not much body, or wave to it. So I decided a haircut was in order.
Enter Artika, the Salon, http://www.artikahairspa.net/ in uptown Whittier, great reviews, it sounded good so I decided to give it a try. Made an appointment today at 5:00PM
When I went in, all the stations were busy, which is a good sign, but I had a 30m wait before my stylist finished with her previous client. While waiting, I was offered tea, coffee, bottled water or a glass of wine, it was nice to relax after a rather hectic day in Kindergarten (Moms and Muffins).
Finally my stilyst Lauren came by and apologized for the delay and sat with me in front of a full lenght mirror (yikes) and asked me what I was looking for, I explained about my thinning hair etc. I said I wanted a modern cut, but easy to take care since I usually just shampoo and blow dry. Then we went to the room where she washed my hair and gave me a full 30m scalp and head massage. That was very nice, felt great! then we went back to the chair by the big mirror and proceeded to cut my hair, she took her time since I was her last client. She said she would give me an easy to care for short hairdo, with a clean, modern style, low maintenance, with multiple layers for body and to best cover my thinning spots, blah blah. She used scissors and razor and cut on the bias, she said she'd give me wisps of hair around my face that would look very feminine and cute (I cringed). Then she explained how to style it, I could just shampoo and blow dry, just to be sure to use some volumizer shampoo, and then how to style it using a round brush.
End result: Good haircut I like the way it shows in the back, although the thin spots are still there. And I still have "wings".
I will let you know how it feels/look after a few shampoos :)

1 comment:

emtes said...

Can't wait to see a photo of your new hairdo. As long as you are pleased and happy it's good!
Love you