Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Raphael - a very random post

Raphael is a Spanish singer that was very popular in the 60's, he's about 70 now, and still singing, acting etc.

I have never liked him or his music. My godmother, tia Carmeta, was crazy about him. She had all his records and her dream was to see him perform. She "forced" me sometimes to sit and listen to him singing, or watch him in TV. He also sang in Eurovision and was known internationally, especially in Latin America.

There were rumors that he was gay, or "marica" as they were called in those non politically correct times, because of his mannerisms and way of singing. He married a writer that belongs to the high aristocracy of Spain, his father was a marquis. She is older than him and it was rumored that she was a lesbian (or "tortillera"), a marriage to cover their true leanings since they were both very popular.

They have 3 children and 6 grandchildren and are still married.

The reason I'm writing this is because a couple of days ago I watched a Catalan movie called , in English, The Tasting Menu. I enjoyed the movie very much and towards the end there was a group of people singing in the beach, and the song was familiar to me but I wasn't sure what it was. I watched the credits, and sure enough it was a Raphael song called "Mi gran noche" he was not in the movie, but it was his voice and some guy was lip syncing.

I haven't been able to get the song out of my head. I am singing it daily, I even sing it in my dreams, it is really weird. I don't really care for it and is really bugging me. Of course I went to You Tube and of course, there it was. Raphael in 1967 singing it. Here's the link just in case you wonder, I am pretty sure none of you readers will click it, but I probably will click on it when I have the urge of singing it again. I actually enjoyed the video is so retro!



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZFes__7cMA

OMG I am singing it again!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

RedRed said...

The link wasn't click-able :( I tried though.

Kteach said...

Yes I don't know how to make links, it's a copy and paste type of link :)