Friday, April 20, 2018

A dog story

Lulu, my 6 year old maltipoo, has been a source of comfort and a good company to me. She's become very attached to me and follows me everywhere when is the two of us alone.

When company comes, she totally forgets that I am still around and lavishes her puppy love on them. This past weekend Sandy came to visit and Lulu smothered her with kisses, then on Sunday Lizzie came too and she was happy to see her but was acting a bit subdued.

We all went outside to admire the garden, and Lulu kept trying to "catch" a lizard. Then she started to slow down and when we went inside she got under the living room table and acted a little droopy, then we noticed that she was limping a little.

On Monday, she couldn't put her rear right foot down, it was red and sore and she kept licking it. I called the vet for an appointment for the next day. After I took Sandy to the airport and came home, she was just laying down and her paw was bleeding, so I took her to the vet  right away.

The vet said something must have  bit her or got into her paw (she said maybe foxtails) so they shaved her leg from the knee down and put some antibiotics and clean the area. She also got the Elizabethan crown or as is commonly known: The cone of shame.  She doesn't like it at all!


When we got home, she kept on hitting everything and tried hard to get it off. She couldn't get in her favorite spot under the coffee table but finally she did although I had to help her out. the next day I saw her paw was bleeding again. I don't know how but she  found a way to lick her paw again! I watched her over carefully for a while and noticed she lay down  and turned her head just so and carefully  placed her sore paw in the cone. I called her the contortionist because she really twisted her body around!

Today I went back to the vet with her, and she got a super sized cone! She looks really sad and there's not much she can do, I have to put the dog food on my hand and she will eat from my hand because she cannot reach her bowl. She can drink  if I fill her big bowl really full but she ends up with a wet head.

It's hard for her to find a comfortable spot to sleep and she keeps looking at me with her big brown eyes like saying help!!!


And she has to keep it on for two weeks! 




2 comments:

RedRed said...

That last photo is too funny/sad!

Lizzie said...

pobrecita!