Friday, June 16, 2017

Tomatoes

In February last year I planted 6 tomato plants, 3 heirloom 1 beefsteak and 2 celebrity. Around June they started to ripen and I had a pretty good yield. The snails and slugs ate some though.

When the crop ended  the gardener cleaned the area and I planted some flowers. Then around October I noticed some volunteer tomato plants coming up and I decided to let them grow to see if they would bear fruit. We had a lot of rain and they grew and had a lot of tomato flowers but they didn't set. I didn't take very good care of them because I didn't put the tomato  towers until they were pretty big, I think in March.

This time we had a  big problem with snails and slugs, and maybe some kind of rodent or birds, that would eat the tomatoes. For every 10 tomatoes about 6 were inedible with holes and bites :(    Regardless of it I picked quite a few, and I must say they are some of the juiciest, sweetest tomatoes I have tasted.

The mother of one of my ex students from Kinder, who is a FB friend, saw the pictures of the tomatoes and asked me if she could buy some. I told her she could come and pick them of course no charge. So yesterday she came with her kids. My kindergarten one is now a 9th grader and is taller than me!  They picked a whole bunch of tomatoes, more than i thought they were left, they also took some oranges. It was fun talking to her and to Jacob :)

Tomorrow the gardener will take the vines out and clean the area .  I will use the tomatoes to make salsa and pico de gallo. I will roast some with garlic  and some basil and will save them for soup or sauce. I will make gazpacho for lunch tomorrow, and also salmorejo later, and of course pa amb tomaquet! If there are any left, I will chop them and freeze them.


No comments: