Thursday, June 29, 2017

Gnomes

Let me start by saying that I have never thought about gnomes one way or another. I remember some fairy tales  that had gnomes in them, when I was teaching Kindergarten, a favorite story to read to the kids was "The Three Billy Goats Gruff"  in it there was an evil gnome hiding under the bridge, but actually it was a troll (gnomes live in the forest, close to mushrooms, and trolls live under bridges or rocks and turn to stone in the morning.

Anyway they are mythical creatures, and of course leprechauns is a close relative of trolls and gnomes. But for the purpose of this blog, I'll only will write about gnomes.

One Christmas, my oldest daughter gave me a whimsical gift, it was a gnome carried by 2 trolls? they were made of metal but the gnome was painted ceramic or resin. I thought it was a garden decoration so I put it outside in my garden. We had some rains and the metal trolls rusted badly, so I put them inside.

This past Christmas, my daughters got together to give me stuff to make a fairy garden. There was a book with ideas, a heavy square stone to put the garden in, and some  other things, like a little bridge, a little gnome etc.  I actually had been thinking of making a fairy garden but  wasn't sure how to start.

Anyway I have been experimenting and buying some stuff. Big Lots had an fairy garden area and I bought a few things there. But my focus now is gnomes. I have bought stone gnomes, different sizes and put them around the garden, sometimes they visit the fairy garden too. It's an ongoing thing.

Can you find the gnomes?


Fairy Garden

A gnome and his mushroom house

Smaller garden