Thursday, July 19, 2018

A little road trip

When Lizzie asked me if I wanted to go on a road trip to see her friend Barbara I said oh yes! I had been a bit bored at home and wanted to go some place, basically any place. But Fresno?

So we set up for trip to the north in California's Central Valley. My dog Lulu came along, and a lot of water bottles and some snacks. The weather in SoCal had been very hot, and the Central Valley is even hotter, most of the time it was around a 100 degrees.

The trip was much better than I thought, there's not a lot to see but fields and more fields. But we had an ongoing conversation about different things and it was nice. Lulu enjoyed the trip as well.
We stopped at a McDonalds and had really nice and crispy  McNuggets and fries. Lulu refused to drink water or pee but she had a couple of fries and a McNugget. We kept on going till we saw a sign that said "Kingsburg" , it said it was a little Sweden in the middle of Central Valley. That piqued our curiosity since my sister is Swedish, so we decided to take a little detour.


The water tower overlooked the town, it was in the shape of a Swedish teapot, we drove to it and saw part of the town with Swedish and American flags flying, with stores and murals with signs in Swedish. and even a dala horse. It was fun! This link tells you more about the town and its history. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsburg,_California

 


There was also an old jail that had a very cool 3D mural. I later learned that we could have walked around and look at the inside with people dressed like in the old times. Quite a tourist attraction. Maybe next time.




After this side trip, we drove to Fresno and went to our Hotel La Quinta. Very nice. It had the best beds, I slept like a log, very comfortably. The bed was very high. I almost needed a little step ladder to get up lol.


Before going to see Barbara play, we stopped in a Mexican Restaurant that had good ratings, but unfortunately they were undeserved. We let Lulu stay in our room and rest from the trip.  Barbara's show was very nice, the site was an art galley/Radio Station, she's an amazing singer.


After the performance we went back to the hotel and had a very pleasant good night.

The next day Sunday we drove back home. We stopped in Bakersfield for lung. Again McDonalds. We ordered 2 #6 I think, which had fries, 10 nuggets and a drink. We ate in the car, and I gave Lizzie her meal and I kept mine, then, surprise! there were 2 xtra boxes of McNuggets for a total of 50 little nuggets!!! We didn't eat it all of course, but Lulu had a couple oif them.

We stopped at a roadside fruit stand that boasted fruit just picked from the orchard right across. I bought 3 pounds of peaches for $8.00 and 2 mini melons @ .50 each. There were 9 peaches all together which came to almost $1.00 a piece. I thought that was pretty high priced, especially because when I has one that night it was not sweet, and the next day they were all sort of mushy and had to throw away 5 of them . I was disappointed. Especially when the next day I went to Trader Joe's and they had a box of a dozen of beautiful peaches for $5.99

We had a good drive back home, and we rested for a while, and then Lizzie had to drive back to San Diego. But she had a nice drive too.

All in all I enjoyed the trip and the company very much!


Hmmm I don't know about that :)