Tuesday, May 5, 2015

A night of poetry at the Getty

Lizzie came over last weekend to visit and also to go to a poetry reading at the Getty. She invited me to go and after a little hesitation, I said yes.  Why the hesitation you ask? I have this (stupid) habit of almost never saying yes when asked to do something or go somewhere.

Before we went I told her to fill up the car, she was not amused.It's another of my quirks, I am always afraid to run out of gas. Marv can be a witness to that, I get nervous when it gets to the half mark.

We were ready to go by 5:00, the reading was to start by 7:00, travel time would take 48 minutes so we had enough time to enjoy the drive to the Getty Villa in Malibu, and see the gardens.

It was a nice drive,especially when we got to Malibu, the waves were pretty awesome, the weather was very nice, very enjoyable.We turned to the GettyVilla, Lizzie had never been there,but  I had been there 3times, with Migrant Ed, with Marv, and once with Norbert. It's a beautiful place.
When we got to the gate, there was a sign saying "CLOSED" !!!!

We stopped and checked the invitations, and it said Getty Center! For some reason, both of us assumed it was the Getty Villa, not the Center.  So we changed courses and following the directions of  her iphone we had a lovely drive through Brentwood, Beverly Hills etc. admiring the mansions along the way and the beautiful area, until we got back to the freeway and got to the Getty Center.

The Getty Center is a Museum in a beautiful setting with views of Los Angeles, the mountains and the ocean. It also has very lovely gardens. That's one of the places my daughters took me for my 70th birthday.

When we got there, the readings had not started yet. There were a lot of people, it was a sold out performance. There were 6 poets, a magician that doubled as an MC and a guitar player that accompanied the reading of the poems. The poems were inspired by the paintings of J. M. W Turner.

The Auditorium was very nice with super comfortable chairs/ Lizzie bought a couple of poetry books. She knew most of the poets plus  some members of the audience.  I enjoyed the poets and the poems and the music, and the silly magician. One of the poets is also a movie/TV star, her name is 
Amber Tamblyn, she was in "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" and other movies,also in 3 and a half man and  several TV shows. Her husband David Cross is also an actor.  Her father is actor/dancer Russ Tamblyn who was a favorite of mine when I was a teenager. Here's a father daughter picture.


After the show was over, we hung around and it was nice to see how many people came and talk to Lizzie, she is well known in poetry circles, and in my opinion a much better poet than the ones that took part in the reading.  It was  very nice for me to see her being recognized and liked by her peers :)

Then we drove back home, and stopped at Alberto's for a late dinner/snack.

It was a very nice evening and I enjoyed it very much . Thanks Lizzie.

No comments: