Thursday, October 10, 2013

On being 15

A couple of days ago, I was texting back and forth with Tristan. He was telling me about the amount of homework he had to do everyday, he was cool with it. We also talked about our mutual admiration for Eminem and about his new song, Salvation, which I was listening to at the time, I told him I have problems hearing/understanding the lyrics and he sent me a website that not only has the lyrics to a lot of rap songs but also their meaning.

Afterward I started thinking about being 15, in the first year of High School. How things have changed and how they are the same. I don't have a lot of experience with boys, since I am female and so are my children. What we have in common, males and females, is the 15 year old "angst".

Even though it's a long time since I was 15, I remember that was the year  I became somewhat alienated from my parents and my sister. I would much rather do things on my own, I would spend many hours at night in my bed listening to "my" music (much to the annoyance of Nuri since we shared a room). I used my bed as a tent and hid under the blanket with my little radio. I used to listen to a London radio and the reception was no good, but in the Franco Spain, the type of American/English music I liked -Elvis Presley, Cliff Richard, Everly Brothers etc.- was forbidden to play in the radio.

When I looked in the mirror I saw me as a girl with long hair and bangs, a long face and a big nose and a crooked tooth, I was skinny and didn't have much of a shape. It didn't help that my best friend at the time (Lolin) was beautiful. My social life consisted of chaperoning my 17 years old sister to parties and even at times when she went out with her bf Jorge -who became her husband-. It was boring. I couldn't wait to be 17.

What do you remember about being 15?

 
 


1 comment:

emtes said...

I remember my first boyfriend who I had been together with since we were 13 :-) We stayed together until I was almost 16 and he was my first.
That summer when I was 15 I was nanny with a couple in Öregrund by the sea. I took care of a 8-year boy but most of the time I was out at night dancing in discos to Mungo Jerry's "In the summertime". What a wonderful summer that was!!
I loved being 15, 16, 17, 18 and then I had a couple of years I rather would forget. The only good that came out of that was Danniel! But then at 24 life started over again!
Hugs and kisses and have a great weekend.