Sunday, July 10, 2011

Last day of school - June 15

gifts and cards from my students

#1 retiree


Last picture of my last class

Jennifer and Jessica cried all through the presentation


Miranda presented me with a beautiful bouquet of roses


At Jersey School, the school day begins with all the classes gathered outside and doing The Pledge of Allegiance together. This is also the time for some announcements from the Principal, etc. Usually the Kindergarten classes are not present, because we do the Pledge in our own classrooms.


Since I am not crazy about surprises, I had tricked my friend Jessica into telling me that they were planning on doing something with the whole school on my last day.

So, on the last day we got an announcement thru the intercom, saying that ALL classes should gather outside, including Kindergarten. Aha! no surprises for me!


After the Pledge of Allegiance, the principal gave a speech about what a special day it was, because Mrs. Wann was retiring after 26 years teaching Kindergarten and Jersey School wouldn't be the same without me etc. Shje presented me with a rosette that said #1 retiree, and with a facsimile of a plaque that will be placed above the kindergarten playground water fountain, celebrating my 26 years as a Kindergarten teacher. Then all the Kindergarten children started singing a song (which I learned in Idaho) called Skidamarink , some of the kids in other grades knew the song too and sang along, also some of the teachers...the song ended with all the kids pointing at me and saying I love you.


When we went back to our classrooms, my room mother had set up a display of presents the kids had given me, and I got a little emotional reading all the cards I got. When it was time to go home, I gave the children their Kindergarten diplomas and hugged every kid of my very last Kindergarten class. ............Adios!















1 comment:

emtes said...

And of course Julio smiling in front of the schoolphoto.
You said you didn't get emotional but I sure did when reading it. I would have cracked too I can tell you.
Hugs Mia