Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Wild Wild West!

Awesome storm clouds

Sandy has written about the trip which was awesome, I am just going to write some observations...

1.- I really enjoyed the trip more than I thought I would.

2.- Marvin knows a lot about the history of the West. I think he enjoyed seeing the places he had only read about.

3.- Nevada and Utah were HOT! Most of the time we were in Utah it was in the 3 digit mark. The hottest? St George Utah at 115F!!! I don't do well in the heat, it makes me tired.

4.- Wyoming is the 50th State in population. Miles and miles of (empty) land. We crossed it from one end to the other. There's a lot more antelopes than people in Wyoming.

5.- It was fun traveling with Sandy and Tristan. Sandy is very well organized, a good navigator and helper. Tristan was a good trooper :)

6.- We visited 3 forts in Wyoming: Fort Bridger, Ford Fetterman, and Fort Laramie. Their history were very interesting.

7.- Many of the scenic vistas were awesome!

8.- I was totally surprised at the beauty of the Black Hills of South Dakota, I was expecting something quite different.

9.- The Crazy Horse Monument was great, but not much is done with it. It'll be a long time before they finish it.

10. -Mt. Rushmore was awe inspiring. I cried during the lighting ceremony. There were hundreds of people (and many veterans in the stage) saying the Pledge of Allegiance. and singing patriotic songs.

11. -The train ride from Keystoine to Hill City was fun!

12.- Deadwood was great. I really liked the setting and the history. Mt. Moriah was very interesting.

13.- We had good weather throughout the trip but for the storm around Laramie on the way back. I made a change of route because it scared me! (top picture)

14.- It was a very nice trip, we did and saw a lot in a few days. Bad thing, Marvin got sick (the flu?) when we got back to Utah.

15.- I got to eat a Kouing-aman, love that pastry! Salt Lake City has a lot of nice areas.

16.- I lost 6 lbs in this trip. A lot of walking, and not too many snacks, yay!

17.- It's nice to be back home :)


3 comments:

RedRed said...

the picture is great and I'm happy that you lost so much weight! Good job!

emtes said...

I loved that photo of the stormclouds. They look really dangerous so not surprised you choose another way.
I did see you had lost weight but didn't want to write that on FB.
And you really looked happy on all the photos.
I think it did you all good this trip ;-) And how Tristan has grown!!
Next time I see him he will be longer than me :-)
Besos, love <3

emtes said...

To answer your comment on my blog:
No they haven't found a new singer but they are looking hard. They have received like 80 or something applications from all over the world and that will take some time to go through.
Have a great weekend, hugs and besos
from your sis Mia :-)