Sunday, May 20, 2018

Royal weddings

I just read Sandy's post on the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.
I watched it too.

I didn't even go to sleep on Saturday, it began at 1:00AM I stayed up till 5:46AM and watched every minute of it.

 Maybe because I was born in Europe, I like all the royal stuff. I have watched all European marriages and baptisms. The Spanish royalty, of course, the Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg ,Monaco, Liechtenstein and of course the British. I enjoy it all. I like the the tiaras, the outfits, the gossip, everything.

There's 10 Kingdoms in Europe. Many of them are interrelated. For instance, the husband of Queen Elizabeth of England was born into the  Greek and Danish royals families, same as Queen Sofia of Spain.

Meghan was not the first commoner to marry a prince. Actually almost all the contemporary royals
have married commoners. The prince of Sweden married Sofia, she was a model and a reality TV contestant. the crown princess of Sweden, Victoria, married her personal trainer, the prince of Spain married a divorced TV correspondent etc. etc.

Next royal event I will be watching will be Princess Madeleine's of Sweden's 3rd child's baptism on June 8.:)

The very first wedding I saw was also the first time I watched TV in Spain. It was the wedding of Grace Kelly and Rainier of Monaco. in 1956. I was 12 years old  and I went with my grandmother to a little store next to our apartment in Roca y Batlle, they had a little b&w TV and we sat  down with them in their living room and watched the wedding.

By the way, I don't like monarchies per se. I think they will become obsolete. Like it happened in France, Greece, Italy, Germany etc. I think the last ones to go will be the Scandinavian royalty: Sweden, Denmark and Norway love their royals! :)


Mathilde of Belgium, Victoria of Sweden, Mette Marit of Norway, Mary of Denmark, Maxima of Holland
 




No comments: