Saturday, October 17, 2015

Back to the USA (from Platja D'Aro to Barcelona)

Wednesday, Sept. 23 – Our last day in Platja D’Aro. In the morning Sandy and Lizzie went for a walk along the beach, I stayed in the apartment packing and having a mini meltdown. I didn’t walk with them because my foot was still pretty sore. I was planning on having a drink and sitting outside and just  enjoying the view until they came back,
but I forgot I had left my sunglasses in Lizzie’s purse and the sun was too bright, so I took some pictures from inside and kept on packing.
Hotel Aromar called and said we were supposed to have left by 10, it was now past 11, so as soon as the girls came home we left the apartment and went to the hotel to wait for Sonia and Eric that would drive us back to Barcelona.
I took a last walk on the beach and cried a little remembering my mom and dad and the fun times we had spending summer days in Platja when the girls were growing up.
We left and decided to stop at a little restaurant called Grill Ruta Baviera in Santa Cristina and have some lunch, it was a good choice! We each chose a meat to grill, my choice was a pork kebab or pincho moruno and also had fries and pa amb tomaquet.
We continued the drive to Barcelona,  Our new apartment was in Carrer Arago, next to Passeig San Joan. It was an older building with a really small elevator.

The apartment was beautiful. It had been totally remodeled. Beautiful kitchen and bathrooms, nice living area, a balcony and 3 bedrooms. It looked beter than the pictures, we were impressed. Until we went to take a shower!!! There was very very very low water pressure, that was a disappointment.
We started to get dress to meet my cousin Franc for dinner. He’s the son of one of my mother’s sisters. He’s a very well traveled man, and very smart too. He lives in Munich and we reconnected thru Facebook a few years ago.
We took a taxi to go to the Restaurant, but because it was a big holiday (tomorrow is dia de La Merce, the patroness of Barcelona) the streets in Barri Gotic were closed, so the taxi left us as close as he could and we walked thru the crowded streets and listened to the music  and had fun getting to Can Pitarra, located in the carrer Avinyo.
We went in and sat down at the reserved table and a few minutes later my cousin came in. It was good to see him (last time I saw him was when he and his wife and young son came to Idaho and spent a few days at our house, probably 30-40 years ago)


He ordered a bottle of Cava and we ordered dinner – I had anxovies for starters, I just love them! And monkfish al all cremat, and crema catalana. We had another bottle and just enjoyed listening to his travel stories and remembering the times when we were children together.
It was another great day, full of good food, and memories.

I was going to write a couple more days but I am tired and going to bed now  :)



TO BE CONTINUED

1 comment:

emtes said...

I really like reading about your trip from you all. I'm afraid I have been so bad lately writing on mine mainly because I haven't felt good.
I was so lucky to be able to go to Gothenburg last weekend with my sis. But we took the train down and taxi to transport us, stayed at a gorgeous hotel so that's why I managed. No stress, just relax.
Thinking of you all a lot! Take care, love you <3
Hugs for you, Marvin and Lulu.