Saturday, December 17, 2011

It's my birthday!


I was born a few minutes after midnight on December 17, 1943. I am now 68 years old.
Here's the earliest picture I can find of myself. It was during my baptism at the Bonanova church. My godparents were my father's brother, Juan (who's holding me in the picture), and my godmother was my mother's sister Carmeta.
 My full name is Maria (maternal grandmother) Josefa (my mother) Carmen (my godmother) Leonor (my maternal godmother)
I was born at home, Passeig Guell 14, in Barcelona. It was a very nice house in a very nice neighborhood. In the house lived my mother and father and my maternal grandmother (yaya), and my sister Nuria.
Because we were very well off at that time, we also had a live in maid and a nanny. We had a car and a chauffeur. My father worked in textiles, I am not sure what his position was exactly.
We lived there until I was 5 years old. I still remember living there. The reason we moved was because my father decided to partner with a friend and sell Spanish wines to South America (that was shortly after WWII). It was supposed to make him and his partner very rich. It didn't work as they had planned, and he lost a lot of money. With no money coming they were not able to keep the help, or the house , which was rented out.
We moved with an aunt of my grandmother, she was a widow with a son Joaquin. They lived in a small house in the country in what is now a hip place called Taxonera. It was a BIG change especially for my mother.
I remember living there and having fun with Nuri and Joaquin, running around the fields and climbing trees. We only stayed there less than a year.
My parents rented an apartment in the area of Putxet. Roca y Batlle B. I lived there until I got married.
And here's my earliest picture, I was a few days old.




1 comment:

RedRed said...

You had lots of hair!