Saturday, February 5, 2011

Health scare

When I got home from work on Thursday, Marvin seemed a little tired, he took a nap and woke up disoriented and not being able to work, his blood sugar was low, so we ate some dinner (won ton soup) and he felt better but still shaky. I decided to call the school and take Friday off.
Friday morning I checked on him but he was sleeping so I let him sleep, at 10:30 he still was not up so I went to wake him up but I couldn't, he wouldn't respond, he couldn't talk or sit up or know where he was. I called 911 and in 10 minutes the firemen, medics and ambulance came. There were about 8 of them. They asked questions and went to check on him, and said he had a insulin shock caused by low blood sugar -hypoglycemia-. They gave him a shot and in a few minutes he sat up and was able to answer questions. They asked if he wanted to go to the hospital and he said no. But after they left, I decided to take him to ER because he was still shaky.
We waited like 3 hours in the waiting room, he was called a couple of times to check his vitals and also to give some blood. Later on he was checked into a room where we stay for about 5 more hours. They checked him pretty thoroughly and he was discharged to go home by 9:30PM. The doctor told us to check his blood sugar every 4 hours.
When we got home, Lizzie had called saying she would come over, she was on her way. He was feeling better by then. Today Saturday, his blood sugar was OK, I made breakfast and he has a sandwich for lunch and then the 3 of us went to ChaCha's for a (yummy) early dinner.
Mia, that was the reason I wrote in Facebook it had not been a good Friday.
Have a good Superbowl Sunday everybody!

1 comment:

emtes said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. What a chock it must have been for you. Good that you called 911, that you realized how serious it was. I'm so glad everything went well :-) How is he feeling now? I suppose you're extra special attentive to symptoms now. How are you feeling after all this? You must have been very shaky as well at least afterwards.
Take care now - both of you!
Love you <3 Big hugs to you all from your sis Mia