Friday, June 19, 2020

What's going on!

I don't like to write about things like politics because I understand that I am not in the same page with some of my relatives/friends in certain areas.
I am getting too old to debate stuff like that, and frankly, at this stage of my life really the things I care more about is my health, my family's health, and trying to live as well as we can in the middle of this pandemia.
I could talk about living all my life in Spain under the dictatorship of Franco, and how it makes me laugh when I hear some people calling Trumps a dictator/fascist, etc etc. mostly from people that have never lived in other countries with different regimes.
But all I want to do is to send a thing I read that makes a lot of sense to me. You are welcome to read it or ignore it. And agree or disagree. It has to do about the way the media portrays the news, in this case their take on BLM
Here it is:

Both sides :

·              Floyd was murdered and the officers involved should be arrested.
·              Most protesters are peaceful.
·              Most cops are good cops.

Right-leaning media (Fox, Limbaugh, etc…):
·              Outside groups are hijacking the protests to cause trouble. Most of the groups doing that are leftists groups like Antifa, or just local gangs who are looting just for free stuff, not to prove any societal point.
·              It is proper to point out that places that consistently elect Democrats seem to have the most issues.
·              This has little to nothing to do with Trump, but that won’t stop the other half of the media from blaming him for it.
·              It’s also proper to point out that the worst of the rioting and looting is happening in places where Democrats have made it difficult for citizens to get guns to defend themselves.
·              Wow, the media sure did quickly drop the COVID-19 story.
·              Expect this sort of media hyperbole/world falling apart kind of rhetoric until the election.

Left-leaning media (CNN, NYT, etc…):
·              Outside groups are hijacking the protests to cause trouble. Most of the groups doing that are far-right or racist groups.
·              Trump bears a lot of responsibility for the atmosphere he has created that led to these riots and looting.
·              The looting in particular is an understandable response to generations of minorities being left behind economically.
·              It is irrelevant that this is happening in places that have been run by Democrats for generations. To make this political is to dishonor Floyd.
·              But also, this is mostly Trump’s fault.

The truth is, unfortunately, that there really are two media bubbles in this country, and, unless you recognize that and seek out information from both bubbles, you’re only getting one side of the story… the side that is being presented not to inform you, but to persuade you.

                                                         

No comments: