Friday, July 6, 2012

It's Official!

Yes, I am hard of hearing! Not a big surprise here, but today I went to the audiology doctor, and she made some tests and confirmed that I have some severe loss of hearing in some areas.

I can hear all kind of noises very well, vacuum cleaner, dog barking, normal 1 to 1 conversation, etc etc. Among other things, I  have some problems  hearing a conversation in noisy places, like restaurants, parties, etc.

Interestingly enough, is mainly in English where I have a hearing problem, but not in Spanish. The doctor explained it has to do with the lenght of the words.

She said it's a permanent loss, cannot be recovered by surgery or medication, but it can be helped with a hearing aid. She said I can hear well enough now but at some later point I may think about getting one.

I had lots of earaches when I was little and I kept on having them well into adulthood. That obviously contributed to my hearing loss.

So, when you write some comments, make sure  to write in capitals so I can hear them LOL!!!!!  :D

1 comment:

emtes said...

This is so funny :-) Well, not funny in that sense that you're hearing bad but the fact that I have the same! On my right ear I can hear just a little and then the curve just hit the bottom. Exactly the same as you, when in enviroments that are loud like restaurants or parties it's so hard to hear even what people next to me say and after 3 or 4 what, I give up.
I also had a lot of ear infections when growing up and penicillin wasn't that common then so what they did was to go with me to hospital and they had a needle (or something) to do a small hole thus letting all the pus out. Is was very painful but when the hole was made and the pus went out it instantly relieved the pain. And as you know it's so painful.
Are both your ears affected? Or only one?
Well, we just returned from Dalarna and are off again to "our hotel" for 3 days and then I'm off to Malmö. I must say I rather had your weather than ours at the moment. Parts of Sweden is flooded due to heavy rain. Not very nice and no real summer in sight according to the metherologists.
Take care and big hugs for you and Marvin.
Love you
Mia :-)