Friday, May 20, 2011

Retirement!

I can't believe there's only 16 more working days before school (and my teaching days) are over. June 15 is the last day of school .
You all know I have mixed feelings about retirement. For over a quarter of my life I have been defined as being a teacher, and I have enjoyed it 99% of the times. I am sure I will be missing it a lot, especially the children (not many of this year's class lol).
But now, comes the matter of retirement parties etc. It is well known by everybody, family and friends, that I do not like retirement parties and stuff. For one, I get too emotional and I am sure I wouldn't have too much fun unless I do some heavy drinking before that lol. The school district is having a "Retirement Tea" on June 1, there's 12 teachers retiring. They asked me how many invitations I need, well Marvin will go if he feels well enough, and many of the teacher's at Jersey will go too. Then my school wants to give me a retirement party too, I said maybe just dinner and drinks, probably at El Cholo. I don't want a whole school send off, complete with planting a rose bush and songs by the children and stuff (just the thought of it makes my skin crawl). My principal knows they better not give me a surprise party, so she wanted to know what day was good for my family to come, again I said Marvin would go if he feels well, and Sandy is going on vacation at that time, and Lizzie might be in San Francisco around that time too, and Mia is in Sweden :P)
And then, my room mother seems to be having some kind of a plan going too. Aaaargghhh!
All in all I am getting a little stressed out!!!!
Will let you know how things are going! :)

1 comment:

emtes said...

Need support? I wish I could come but you know I would have been there if I could. I loooove parties! You know that :-)
If I were in your shoes I would be so happy that they wanted to show their appreciation but I know you think they should do it while you're there but we are all so bad in showing appreciation in day-to-day life. It's not until you turn 50,60 etc or when you quit your job or when you die everyone tells you how great you were (!) It would have been so much better to do it to you in person. In some cases (death) it might even be too late.
I know your feeling about being emotional (you know how I cried) but it's only for one day and I think people wants to see you (I'm mean in general) get emotional and I also believe them too are.
I'm so happy to hear Jennifer will have your classroom after you :-)
This was very long and maybe I should have written a mail instead but I hope you read this since I haven't written a mail :-)
Have a wonderful weekend. Give Marvin a hug from me.
And of course you get a big puss och kram from your sis <3 <3