Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Milk Farm

 A couple of years after I first came to the US, I worked for a year or two at one place called "The Milk Farm" in Dixon, California.


It was owned by a German family. I had an interview with the old lady, her son and daughter in law. I think I was hired because I was European, because I sure didn't have any experience working at a Restaurant.

 We had a to wear a uniform. It was red and white stripes, with a white apron and a paper hat that had The Milk Farm logo on it (A cow jumping over the moon)


 The Restaurant was cafeteria style, but you could also order from a menu. My first job was as a waitress. From the kitchen I had to pick up the food and carry a big tray full of plates and stuff with one hand, and carry a little folding table in the other hand. Then I had to open the table, set the tray on it, and set the plates on the table, hopefully without spilling anything. I didn't last very long as a waitress. I didn't like it, I was not fast enough and I broke a few dishes.

 So my next job was busing tables. If I disliked being a waitress, I hated busing tables. I had to roll a cart around the tables and I had to pick up the plates from the tables, scrap whatever food was left in a waste container, stack the dirty dishes, put the dirty silverware in drawer, papers in the trash and finally, clean the table. It grossed me out!

After a few days, the old lady called me to the office. She said I was not doing so well in those jobs, and she would try me as a cashier next. She thought I was smart and willing to learn. The only drawback was, I had to count the money at the end of the day, and it had to match exactly the receipts I had in the cash register. I was not good with money, especially American money!

(to be continued)

No comments: