Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Milk Farm part II

Easter 1979. I had been cashiering for a month or so, lots of people had been unhappy going through the line, because everything had a price: a pat of butter, a roll, xtra dressing, cream, etc. A father with two boys came  thru, I checked the many little plates each had in their trays, I had memorized all the prices so I was checking very fast. Then I added the total.  The father thought I was joking, I said no sir, everything is priced separately and that's when the father took the tray and threw the contents on my head!
There were lots of people in the restaurant and they all were flabbergasted. I was speechless, a few applauded. The owner came and talked to the man that came to apologize. I called Marvin, he was at his parents for Easter dinner and he came to pick me up with Sandy :)

There was another area outside the main Restaurant called "The Circus Wagon" it only served hamburgers, fries, milkshakes and sodas. I worked there once in a while. Nobody showed me what to do, they just "assumed" I knew how to cook hamburgers etc. Usually there were 2 people there, one to take orders and one to cook. Because my English was not great I cooked most of the time, it was fun grilling hamburgers and putting them in a basket with the fries. I could not make milkshakes I always had the other person make them. I always had fun  at the Circus Wagon, especially the day my next door neighbors, Joyce and Paul Burnside (their daughter Meghan was Sandy's age) came with a bunch of their friends, they were all from the Peace Corps, I had met them over at their house the night before when they had a party. They all wanted milkshakes lol.

  I was working as a cashier when Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon. They brought a TV in the dining room and I had time to see it. It was memorable.

My last anecdote is of the day I was working at the Milk Bar, which was adjacent to the dining room. It was not a liquor bar, it was just a place for milkshakes, sodas, floats, coffee, tea etc.
I was the only server that day, only a couple of people were there having coffee. Then  a bunch of people came. It seems they had been skiing up in Lake Tahoe and they were rather rowdy. They asked for "real" drinks and I had to tell them it was a non alcoholic bar. There were sounds of dismay. Then one man came over to me, he looked very familiar. He came to me and of course he asked for a milkshake! I tried and tried, it was either too runny or it just wouldn't mix (I still had not learned to make them). I was flustered, then the man took pity on me and laughingly said he'd have a coke. Then he asked me if I knew who he was, and did I want his autograph. I looked blank. They all laughed again . It was Bing Crosby!

I have his autograph somewhere around. He was very sweet and he left a nice tip.

And that's just some of my experiences in my year of working at the Milk Farm in Dixon, California.

No comments: