Sunday, November 26, 2017

Thanksgiving revisited

Just thought I'd write a little about the week of Thanksgiving.
There was not Thanksgiving holiday  when I was growing up in Barcelona. It is a very American holiday, with the native Americans and the Pilgrims etc, so it's never been one of my top holidays to celebrate, although I think it is nice to give thanks for family and friends and pets etc.

When I first got married that was one of the first holidays I spent at my in laws. It was the typical turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, pies etc. It was repeated the next month for Christmas, just with different types of pies.  I am not crazy about turkey, and thought it strange  to eat stuffing made out of bread. Even the pies were not my favorite type of dessert, especially pumpkin and mincemeat. I still don't care for them now.

So Thanksgiving at home has been always sort of eclectic and non traditional. This year we had grilled rib eye steaks, cesar salad, potatoes and allioli. For appetizers  we had spinach dip and assorted meats (deli turkey, ham, swiss cheese, Brie) with crackers and chips. For dessert we had pumpkin pie, chocolate meringue pie, another chocolate pie I made, apple pie, and cream puffs.

Besides Marv , Lizzie and I, we invited my friend Norbert. Oh and Lulu! It was a low key dinner, everything was good and we all had a nice time.  A highlight was a  face to face call to Sandy and family. It was nice talking to them and seeing them, I had not seen Tristan for a while and he looked so much more grown up  now.

Lizzie came over Tuesday night. Wednesday she had to work (she brought her laptop), I think we had KFC for lunch. Friday Sonia called and we chatted for a while, then the 3 of us went to Capriotti's for lunch, for dinner we had leftovers. Saturday after taking Marv to dialysis, Lizzie and I went to a Restaurant in Whittier called "Toast". It was interesting, Lizzie had the Cali which was toast with avocado and baby heritage tomatoes, I had a toast with Rajas  (slices of poblano pepper) con crema, with corn and bacon.  For dinner we had pizza.

Lizzie left around noon after taking Marv to get a haircut. She was a good help this week and good company too. 




1 comment:

Lizzie said...

It was great to be there for an extended time. I was glad to be there and to have such a lovely visit with you and Dad (and Norbert) :)