Saturday, March 9, 2013

Class of '60

The other day I read in Yahoo, about a man that found his HS ring that he had lost some years ago, and how happy he was to have found it. Shortly after I read another story about somebody who found a HS ring and traced its owner.

It got me thinking.

Many years ago, during my dating years :) I met this guy from South Dakota. He was a GI on leave in Barcelona. I remember his name (Oliver McMartin) because he was the only guy I ever dated that was from South Dakota and because he gave me 2 rings, his High School ring and also a little silver one with 2 little pearls.

I don't remember anything else about him, how he looked or how long we dated, I know we wrote each other for a while. I think I was 17 at the time.

After reading about the lost rings, I decided to see if I could find Oliver's HS ring. It took me a while to go through all my boxes of jewelry, I keep everything. My good jewelry I keep in a safe place, but all other rings, bracelets, pins, etc. I have scattered in jewelry boxes, baggies, drawers, etc. Just as I was ready to give up, I found it!

Next step was to find if Oliver was still around. I checked Facebook but no Oliver there. He would probably be 70+ by now!. I looked in my little red book that I still keep, and there was his name and an address, but that was where he lived before he went to the Army. So I checked google.

I put his name, and Sioux Falls South Dakota, and surprisingly enough, it showed the White Pages, with his name, address and phone. Now, how many Oliver McMartins can there be in Sioux Falls? It must be him.

I called..riiing riing..a woman answered. I asked if I could talk to Oliver, she said what? I repeated myself and she said I must have a wrong number. I then asked if that was Sioux Falls, South Dakota, she said yes, then I repeated the phone number and she said, yes that's here, who did I want to talk to. So I said Oliver McMartin, please. She  left the phone and shouted Oli Oli a woman in the phone for you. I heard a man's voice asking who it was and she said, I don't know, I can't understand what she said (LOL). So then he comes to the phone and said hello?
I said hi Oli, this may come as a surprise but we met about 50 years ago when you were in the Army on leave in Barcelona Spain. He said where? and I said Barcelona and he said is this Fefa? (that was my nickname at the time) I said yes, and you gave me your High School ring and I would like to give it back to you.
He was happy, and said yes yes I'd like that. Thank you. So I said I would mail it to him next week. I asked how things were and he said things were good for him and where was I? I said I lived in California now. We had a nice conversation.

I will mail him the ring on Monday :)

2 comments:

RedRed said...

OMG! What an interesting story!

emtes said...

That is so strange. Think that he has lived at the same place all these years! And that you found him and are able to give his ring back. Fantastic!
Hugs to you